How to Make Money Online
If you’re looking for a way to make a few extra bucks, the internet can be your friend. There are many different ways to make money online. From completing online surveys to starting a blog, it can be a great way to pocket some extra cash. We’ve put together many different ways to make money online ranked from the most recommended to least recommended.
This might not be the fastest way to make make money but can be reliable if you can consistently post high-quality and unique content that provides value to people. There’s no denying that it will take some time, however. Typically it can take anywhere from 3-6 months to start gaining steady traffic for a new blog from search engine optimization (SEO).
Blogs can make money in many different ways, and each has different advantages and disadvantages. We recommend testing different ones and seeing what works best for your audience.
Have you ever been browsing a website and noticed an ad on the sidebar or in the middle of a blog post? This is display advertising. With display advertising you can earn money two ways:
- Whenever someone clicks on the ad
- Whenever someone views the ad
You will earn a much higher commission when someone clicks on the ad rather than when it is viewed. Typically, ad views are measured in 1,000s (called CPM). Commonly, the commission for one click is very similar to the commission for 1,000 views.
Have you ever been on a blog and noticed that in the blog, it is recommended to use a certain product or service? Many times, this is because the blog will earn a commission for each customer they pass along. Depending on the affiliate program, commission structures vary. Some offer a fixed rate per customer. Others might offer a revenue share commission. For example, if an affiliate program offers you 20% of lifetime revenue per customer, you would earn $20 for every $100 in revenue the company makes. This can add up very quickly.
Sell eBooks or Courses
Depending on your niche, you can also sell eBooks or online courses to drive income. To do this, you’ll need to be recognized as an influencer in your niche. You’ll also need to spend the time to write the book or develop the course.
Tips for Developing a Successful Blog
Creating a successful blog is all about creating valuable content and providing value to readers. Read our tips below to help you increase your readers and income:
- Post content consistently. At a minimum, post one time per week. 2-5 posts per week are recommended for SEO.
- Offer various types of content. While you might be the best writer out there, some people just don’t love to read. Try to capture those people by creating different content. Think infographics or videos.
- Keep up on social media. Not only does being on social media add SEO value, but it also offers you a way to engage with readers and drive traffic to your website.
- Write long and short posts. To maximize your SEO efforts, you’ll need to prove to search engines you are an expert in your niche. Nothing is better at this than writing longer posts (aim for over 1,000 words) while mixing in short to medium (600-800 words) length posts to stay consistent.
2. Open an Online Store
An online store can provide a lasting stream of income with the right products and marketing. You can decide to create your own product to sell or sell products from other manufacturers. Either way, you’ll first need to purchase a domain name for your website. Next, you’ll need to design your e-commerce site so that customers can purchase items safe and securely. Finally, you’ll need to define your order processing and shipping procedures so that customers will receive their orders in a timely manner. We’ve listed a few more tips to help your only store succeed below.
- Harness the power of SEO for your online store. Create a blog page or write detailed product descriptions to help your rankings on search engines.
- Understand user acquisition methods and tactics. How do you plan to get customers? Try learning about Facebook and Google advertising to help you get new customers.
- Offer great customer service. We’ve all had a terrible customer service experience and chances are, we cut ties with that company for it. Ship purchases promptly and reply to customer inquiries to retain customers and increase their lifetime value.
Don't worry – we hate spam too. Unsubscribe at any time.
3. Sell Things on eBay
Have some extra designer clothes laying around that you haven’t worn in years? Maybe it’s time to get rid of them and pocket some cash when you do. Websites like eBay offer an easy way to sell things online while only taking a small fee for their services. Even better, you can sell almost anything on eBay so whether its clothes, an extra TV, or last years iPhone, you’re sure to have something laying around that you can earn some extra cash for.
4. Sell Photos Online
In today's world, we're constantly taking pictures. Pictures of your dog, pictures of the sky, pictures of that weird reflection in a puddle or old-time car. What if you could use those to make money? Well, you can. Selling stock photos can provide an income from doing something that we all do. Websites like Shutterstock or Adobe Stock can offer as much as 30% of sales for your photos. Just remember, there is a vetting process so only submit high-quality photos.
5. Take Online Surveys
Looking for a quick way to make money online? Companies are willing to pay money for market research on their target customers. They want to know things like what you think about them, what your purchasing behaviors are, and what your product preferences might be. You can register on websites like Swagbucks to get paid to take these surveys. There are a wide variety of surveys, some longer than others. Pay varies depending on the length of the survey. Give these a shot if you need a quick buck and have the time to complete them.
6. Use Social Media
Do you have a lot of followers on social media? This is a great way to monetize using affiliate programs. Using the same concept as affiliate advertising on a website, you can sign up to promote a companies products and receive a commission for the new customer you provide. There are a couple of downsides to this method listed below.
- The vetting process requires you to have many followers making it hard or impossible for some people.
- You might lose followers if you post too many affiliate links and your feed becomes saturated.
Don’t have enough followers? Similar to blogging, people look for valuable content and providing it will help you gain followers. Valuable is a vague term, it could mean funny, entertaining, or thought-provoking. Try making funny videos, or creating educational content that people interact with to gain followers.
The most common social media platforms currently are Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. Be active on all of them to increase your chances of becoming a social media affiliate superstar.
7. Build Websites
This way to make money requires a skill that not everyone has but can be learned online. You can charge thousands to build a simple website for companies, so learning this skill can be well worth it in the long run. Start by learning a couple coding languages, HTML & CSS, then you can start building websites. You can also use several website building apps, however, we do not recommend this as they are not as customizable.
Those are seven different ways you can make money online. While some may be easier than others, all are great opportunities to put some extra cash in your wallet. If you’re still looking for other ways to make money, check out our article on the best skills to boost your income here! Don’t forget to subscribe to our email list to get the latest on personal finance and investing below.
Don't worry – we hate spam too. Unsubscribe at any time.