Are you looking to get rich and become a millionaire?
There's no better way than finding a job that pays $1,000 an hour.
Now, some of these jobs can be extremely stressful and require advanced degrees in order to get started – but if you're up for the challenge, why not get paid with a lucrative salary?
In this post, I'll explore some of the best jobs that pay $1000 an hour and much more. Let's get started!
- Many finance jobs like investment banking, hedge fund manager, and commodity traders
- Many types of doctors
- Some creative jobs like acting, being an author, or a musician (although this is not common)
Best Jobs That Pay $1000 an Hour
Many jobs that pay $1000 an hour will require at least a Bachelor's degree to start however some may require even more advanced degrees. It's also worth noting that while some of the jobs might not pay $1000 an hour full-time, but instead offer a true hourly rate of $1000 for the work you do – so keep that in mind.
An investment banker is a banker who manages equities, buying and selling them on behalf of investors. They must meet strict financial reporting requirements, and conduct constant market research. Depending on their role, they may oversee mergers, settlements, and IPOs.
This job pays over $200k a year – which is a large sum of money if you have the skills.
It's worth noting that this job can be very demanding and require long hours during certain times of year.
To become an investment banker, you'll need a Master's in Business Administration at a minimum and you'll also need experience in business and finance.
- 76.2% of investment bankers are male, while 23.8% are female.
- 71.5% of investment bankers are white. 10.7% are Asian, 10.3% are Hispanic, and 5.6% are black.
- 60% of investment bankers are aged 40 or older.
Airline pilots work in the world of commercial aviation. They normally work as part of a team with a copilot and a second officer. Pilots can fly passenger airplanes, or they can work for a freight carrier and haul cargo.
- The piloting profession is overwhelmingly male; only 7.6% of pilots are female.
- 86.7% of airline pilots are white. 6.8% are Hispanic, 2.2% are Asian, and 1.6% are black.
- Two-thirds of airline pilots are 40 years old or older.
Want to know what it's like to be an airline pilot? Check out this video!
An anesthesiologist is a doctor who specializes in pain management, most often during surgery. They can provide general anesthesia for a major procedure or local anesthesia for smaller ones. In addition to surgery wards, anesthesiologists can also work in the ICU and with child deliveries.
Anesthesiologists’ pay has no direct connection to their job performance. You’ll earn more by working at larger, more prestigious hospitals where you can make $300k a year or more with this job.
- There are more than 6,400 anesthesiologists in the US.
- 59.4% of anesthesiologists are men, while 40.6% are women.
- The average anesthesiologist is 48 years old.
Air Traffic Controller
Air traffic controllers are responsible for safely directing airliners. They tell pilots what altitudes to fly at, which runways to land on, and when to land and take off. Their job is to ensure that plane traffic maintains an orderly flow, while still keeping planes out of each other's paths.
This is a stressful job that requires quick decision-making and attention to detail, even under extreme pressure. You’ll also need to pass a background check and random drug screenings.
While the median salary is $129,750 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics– on a per hour basis you can make much more.
- There are currently more than 9,400 air traffic controllers in the US.
- 78.1% of air traffic controllers are male; 21.9% are female.
- The average American air traffic controller is 39 years old.
Hedge Fund Manager
A hedge fund manager is someone who manages a large, private investment fund, also known as a hedge fund. Depending on the fund, they may work for a financial institution or a group of individual investors. You'll often work with some of the largest private companies in the world with this job.
With an average salary of $181,514 per year according to Glassdoor, this is a great high paying job if you have experience with finance and investing.
Hedge fund managers are responsible for reporting as well as management of the fund to ensure it's successful. They work with finance managers and accountants every day to establish a current, accurate value for the fund’s investments.
- 74.2% of hedge fund managers are male, and 25.8% are female.
- 69.7% are white. 12.2% are Hispanic, 8.2% are Asian, and 7.2% are black.
- 71% of hedge fund managers are at least 40 years old.
A commodity trader buys and sells commodities like industrial metals, oil, grain, and other goods to make a living trading stocks.
They buy and sell these commodities on the open market, just like stock traders buy and sell stocks. Traders can work for financial institutions or wealthy commodity investors.
Traders will also need to provide reports to their investors, much like a stock trader would.
The average salary of a commodity trader is around $206,912 per year according to Glassdoor making it a great job that pays $200k a year.
- There are more than 16,200 commodity traders in the United States.
- 87.3% of commodity traders are men, and 12.7% are women.
- The average commodity trader is aged 43.
Investment management is a broad field.
As an investment manager, employers will expect you to have a deep understanding of all types of securities. You'll need to buy and sell these securities with an eye toward meeting your clients' long-term goals.
According to Glassdoor, the average investment manager earns over $260,000 per year.
- 65.5% of investment managers are men, and 34.5% are women.
- 67.8% of investment managers are white, 13.6% are Hispanic, 9.6% are Asian, and 7.1% are black.
- Two-thirds of investment managers are at least 40 years old.
A venture capitalist (VC) is a private investor or firm that provides funding to startups or small companies that are trying to grow. In return, they receive an ownership stake in the company.
To become a venture capitalist, you need to have a lot of money to invest or you can work for a VC firm as an analyst, which can be a lucrative career in its own right.
- 44% of VC jobs are located in the Northeast.
- The average base pay is $160,000, with a $40,000 average annual bonus and a $22,500 average signing bonus.
Source: Harvard Business School
A corporate lawyer is a lawyer who works for a company rather than an individual. They might work for a corporate law firm, or a company may employ them full-time.
Most corporate lawyers specialize in a specific aspect of business law. For example, you might specialize in contract law, labor law, or patent law.
You'll need to attend law school and pass the BAR exam to start in this profession.
- 56.3% of corporate lawyers are female, and 43.7% are male.
- 79.9% of corporate lawyers are white. 6.9% are Hispanic, 5.8% are Asian, and 5.4% are black.
- 65% are age 40 or older.
A management consultant helps businesses and nonprofits to solve problems. A company may want to maximize its profits, or a charity might want improve the percentage of money that goes directly toward their cause.
Consultants work on a contract basis and typically specialize in a particular industry, such as healthcare or logistics.
- There are more than 72,100 management consultants in the US.
- 65.9% of management consultants are men, and 34.1% are women.
- The average age of a consultant is 43.
An author is someone who creates written documents. They may write fiction, nonfiction, technical documents, blogs, or even advertising copy. Most work on a freelance basis, although some companies employ in-house copywriters.
If you're looking for a slow paced job, this might be the perfect option for you.
- Over 7,000 Americans currently work as authors.
- 50.5% of authors are women, and 49.5% are men.
- The average author is 41 years old.
A dentist is a professional who specializes in the treatment of teeth and gums. In addition to regular cleanings, they look for cavities and provide treatments like fillings and root canals. Dentists can also perform other procedures, such as dental X-rays, to reach a diagnosis.
Pay for dentists is comparable to the pay for doctors, with similar potential.
- There are more than 11,000 dentists in the US.
- 54.5% of dentists are women, and 45.5% are men.
- The average dentist is 46 years of age.
Pharmacists prepare, measure, and sell prescription medications to the general public. Most of the work falls under the direction of a physician, who provides a prescription. That said, pharmacists must also have a deep knowledge of drugs and their interactions. They’re often the first person a patient calls when they have questions about a medication.
- There are currently over 310,000 pharmacists in the US.
- 56.8% of pharmacists are women, and 43.2% are men.
- The average pharmacist is age 42.
A nurse anesthetist is a nurse who has received special training in anesthesiology. They review patient histories before surgery and work with the anesthesiologist to choose the best sedation procedures. After surgery, a nurse anesthetist monitors the initial recovery process and provides pain management as needed. They also assist with non-surgical procedures such as childbirth.
- There are more than 40,300 nurse anesthetists in the US.
- 63.9% of nurse anesthetists are female; 36.1% are male.
- The average practicing nurse anesthetist is 44 years old.
Psychiatrists are medical doctors who have trained in the area of mental health treatment. They perform many of the same services as a psychologist or therapist. They can treat patients with talk therapy and other non-pharmaceutical methods. However, psychiatrists are also licensed to prescribe medication, which psychologists and therapists are not.
- 55.4% of psychiatrists are female, and 44.5% are male.
- 64.3% of psychiatrists are white. 18% are Asian, 9.5% are Hispanic, and 5.3% are black.
- 73% of psychiatrists are at least 40 years old.
A dermatologist is a doctor who specializes in skin care. They can treat everyday skin conditions like acne, dandruff, and eczema. They can also diagnose and treat more serious issues such as skin cancer.
A dermatologist’s job is not cosmetic. That would be the work of an aesthetician. That said, beautiful skin starts with healthy skin.
- More than 3,700 Americans work as dermatologists.
- 85.5% of dermatologists are women; only 14.5% are men.
- The average dermatologist is 48 years old.
An actor can work in film or television, or even on the stage. Some actors are extras and work in non-speaking background roles in many productions. Others are able to work their way into speaking roles after showing their skills.
This job can easily pay $100 an hour for lesser known roles that don't require much time.
- There are more than 19,700 actors in the US.
- 67.5% of actors are male, and 32.5% are female.
- The average age for an actor is 37 years old.
A musician is someone who writes or performs music for a living. Talk about a low stress job!
Many musicians work as teachers, while others work as studio musicians.
- Over 16,400 Americans work as musicians.
- 80.4% of musicians are male, and 19.6% are female.
- The average age for a musician is 43.
A radiologist is a doctor who specializes in medical imaging. This can include X-rays, ultrasounds, MRIs, CAT scans, and other diagnostic imaging. Radiologists must work with lab technicians to ensure maximum image quality, and walk patients through the imaging process.
- 58.6% of radiologists are female, and 41.4% are male.
- 65.6% of radiologists are white; 18% are Asian, 8.9% are Hispanic, and 4.7% are black.
- 74% of radiologists are at least 40 years old.
An athlete is someone who plays sports for a living.
This runs the gamut from team sports like football to individual events like cycling. Athletes spend the bulk of their time in training, to maintain peak physical condition. The type of training depends entirely on the sport.
The world's top athletes earn huge sums of money, but most athletes play sports part-time. Many athletes often go on to become coaches after their sporting careers are over.
- There are more than 5,000 professional athletes in the US.
- 61.6% of athletes are male, and 38.4% are female.
- The average professional athlete is 39 years old.
A design engineer works with individual customers to design custom projects. They tailor these projects to meet the customer's needs and must work closely with the client throughout the process. Most design engineers work as part of a larger team, including network engineers and support personnel. Engineers are also responsible for looking at various technological solutions and making the optimal choice for each project.
- In the US, there are currently more than 136,300 design engineers.
- 88.9% of design engineers are men, and 11.1% are women.
- The average design engineer is 41 years old.
Surgeons are physicians who specialize in surgical medical treatment. They may remove cancerous tumors, open blocked arteries, and perform many other procedures. Many surgeons specialize in a particular part of the body, such as heart surgery or brain surgery.
Surgeons work as part of a team, including nurses and an anesthesiologist. In addition to surgery, they also provide patients with instructions for post-surgical recovery.
- In the US, there are over 28,600 surgeons.
- 51.2% of surgeons are male, and 48.8% are female.
- The average age of an American surgeon is 49.
Orthodontists are medical doctors who treat mouth conditions. While dentists focus on cleaning teeth and treating tooth and gum disease, orthodontists focus primarily on dental alignment. They install braces, retainers, and other equipment to straighten crooked teeth.
Orthodontists are also experts on jaws. They can help treat many conditions via massage and facial exercises. Because tooth and jaw alignment changes during childhood, orthodontists most frequently work with children.
- 70.3% of orthodontists are female, and 29.7% are male.
- 72.5% of orthodontists are white, 14.3% are Asian, 7.8% are Hispanic, and 3.6% are black.
- 68% of orthodontists are 40 years old or more.
A plastic surgeon is a surgeon who specializes in cosmetic surgery. Cosmetic surgery can be either elective or reconstructive. Reconstructive surgery is a treatment for an injury or disorder. For example, a plastic surgeon might remove scars after someone is severely burned. Elective surgery is purely cosmetic – for example, a facelift or a breast augmentation.
- There are currently more than 8,300 plastic surgeons in the US.
- 76.4% of plastic surgeons are women, and 23.6% are men.
- The average plastic surgeon is 49 years old.
An oncologist is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. They perform testing to confirm whether cancer is present and come up with a treatment plan that's tailored for each patient.
Oncologists must also monitor a cancer’s progression. It’s often necessary to change the treatment regimen based on the cancer’s response.
- 57.6% of oncologists are female, and 42.4% are male.
- 65.7% of oncologists are white. 18.1% are Asian, 8.8% are Hispanic, and 4.7% are black.
- 74% of oncologists are 40 years old or older.
Cardiologists are heart health specialists, and most often work at a hospital. They diagnose and treat heart conditions, and work alongside a patient’s primary care physician. Cardiologists sometimes prescribe medications, such as those used to reduce blood pressure.
- There are more than 10,100 cardiologists in the US.
- Two-thirds of cardiologists are women.
- The average cardiologist is 48 years old.
A gastroenterologist is a doctor who specializes in the field of digestive health. They diagnose and treat conditions of the stomach, intestines, liver, pancreas, and other organs involved in digestion.
Gastroenterologists work by referral, and treat patients when their primary care physicians are at a loss. They also perform colonoscopies for the early diagnosis of polyps and cancer.
- 59% of gastroenterologists are female, and 41% are male.
- 65.5% are white, 18% are Asian, 9% are Hispanic, and 4.8% are black.
- 74% of gastroenterologists are age 40 or older.
A urologist is a doctor who specializes in the treatment of the urinary system. This includes not just the urethra, but also the kidneys, bladder, and other related organs.
They're also experts in the treatment of the male reproductive system and can offer fertility treatment. Note that a urologist would not treat the female reproductive system. It's far more complex and requires its own specialist: a gynecologist.
- 69.5% of urologists are female, and 30.5% are male.
- 65.7% of urologists are white; 18.1% are Asian, 8.8% are Hispanic, and 4.7% are black.
- 74% of urologists are at least age 40.
Final Thoughts on Jobs That Pay $1,000 an Hour
While there are many different jobs that pay $1,000 an hour or more, many of them will require a very specialized skillset or advanced degrees.
Between finance jobs like investment banking and medical jobs like working as an oncologist – there are certainly a few options to help you reach your desired income.
Don't worry – we hate spam too. Unsubscribe at any time.