What I learned:
A) Don’t go all in until you’re ready.
B) Don’t mix family with business.
C) I was too young. I didn’t understand everything required to start a business successfully despite the copious amounts of research I had done.
Next up, I graduated college with my bachelors of science in Marketing.
While nearing the end of my college career, I was working for a small emergency lighting company doing some basic marketing tasks. And no, not the emergency exit signs, instead they created a product that keeps a light on in large buildings when the power goes out. Think schools, hospitals, jails. (Talk about niche!!)
At the time, they were looking for a new website. Having no idea how to build a website or anything related to web development, I decided to ask if I could create it.
I (slowly) learned the ins and outs of web design and development through various YouTube videos and books and eventually created a new website for them.
I also learned the basics of graphic design, videography, video editing, and all of the Adobe Suite.
I then received a job working for Churchill Downs on the TwinSpires marketing team. My main job function was CRM and managing email marketing.
Fast forward a couple of years to today.
I currently work as a digital marketing manager for a restaurant technology company in addition to managing Don’t Work Another Day.
Why Don’t Work Another Day?
After working 4 years in the corporate workforce, I’ve decided that 40 hours per week creating wealth for someone else isn’t worth the “security” that it provides.
I love the colleagues I work alongside, but the lack of flexibility and freedom is crushing.
I hope to help others learn ways they can build wealth, save money, and develop streams of income so they too, can quit their day job and live life on their own terms.
What I’ve Done Right
In the past few years, I have increased my income in several manners. My day job provides an above average income for most and I also rent out a portion of my home that provides an extra few hundred bucks per month. I have completed some freelance design work and want to increase this business as well.
Where I Need Help
As my income has risen, lifestyle creep plagues me occasionally.
Some of my biggest mistakes:
– Purchasing a new car in 2017 (although I paid it off in 2019!)
– Purchasing a more expensive home than needed
– Purchasing a new Tempurpedic mattress
– Random purchases like clothes, electronics, and a Theragun Pro
What Forrest Likes:
– Not being told to “Run Forrest, Runnnnnnn”
– Anything and everything fitness related. This includes lifting weights, cycling, swimming, yoga, and yes, running.
– A good design
– Any challenge imaginable – Fun fact, I was a pescatarian for 2 years in college!!
– The environment and nature
– Investing, business, personal finances
– THE BEACH & hot weather
– Coffee of any kind
– Clothes offered in Tall sizes
What Forrest Hates:
– Roller coasters. Why do you want to feel like you’re about to die for 2 straight minutes?
– Television shows. I can’t stay focused for that long.
– Duke University or the University of Louisville
– Multi level marketing
I want to hear from you! Whether you have a question about your finances, life in general, or if you need help with web design, development, copywriting, or social media, I am here for you.
You can contact me via email at fmccall @ dontworkanotherday.com or on Twitter @DntWrkAnthrDay.
Want to Learn How to Make More Money? Sign up to get the latest in personal finance, investing, and entrepreneurship delivered straight to your inbox. Join many others and sign up below!